It is an honor to be invited by the planning committee to the 1st annual Global Sports Symposium (“GSS”) on Thursday, May 15, 2014 at Emirates Stadium in London. I hope the Sports Techie community blog enthusiasm for this inaugural all day event is contagious worldwide, in Europe and here in the United States. All students and those who are trying to get into the sports business are invited to attend this new event hosted in the UK. Students can use this sportsbiz opportunity to meet industry professionals and start to grow your network.
Global Sports Symposium
Established in 2006 by Chris Chaney at Princeton University, Sports Symposium, Inc. is a student-run, non-profit organization that sets the standard for sports business education. The Global Sports Symposium is presented by the student-run team behind the Ivy Sports Symposium. They will bring together the leading decision-makers of the industry for a day of networking, discourse and learning. The organization is excited to be expanding internationally by hosting the first GSS in partnership with Arsenal FC and Emirates Stadium.
Confirmed speakers so far are:
- Bob Reeves (President, RFU)
- Chuck Baker (Partner, DLA Piper)
- Matthew Baxter (Chief of Media, Liverpool FC)
- Mark Lamping (President, Jacksonville Jaguars)
- Marc Reeves (International Commercial Director, NFL)
- Stephen Nuttall (Senior Director, Sports YouTube EMEA)
- Tom Fox (Chief Commercial Officer, Arsenal)
The Ivy Sports Symposium has been considered one of the global sports industry’s premier events. Over the past eight years it has rotated among Ivy League campuses. It will aim to duplicate the success of the Ivy Sports Symposium by enabling the industry’s leaders and most successful executives to share invaluable knowledge with their peers and potential successors.
In its company history, the Sports Symposium achieved an international reach through its collaboration with global partners. Their events have featured more than 300 unique speakers from around the world representing all facets sport business including sports technology and social media.
In 2011, the organization established an academic partnership with Global Sports Forum and its presenting sponsor, Havas Sports & Entertainment. I was an official blogger at the 2012 Global Sports Forum Barcelona.
Last year’s event at Harvard University was a success, attracting over 650 attendees and 100 speakers.
THEIR FLAGSHIP EVENT HAS GROWN TO HOST – 2,750+ ATTENDEES, 90 +PANELS, 450+ SPEAKERS
“One of my top goals when assuming the role of Executive Director was finding a way to take our event international,” said Sports Symposium Executive Director Alex Rosen. “The Symposium family cannot wait to share the unique experience of attending one of our events with both students and professionals at the world-class Emirates Stadium.”
Following on these successes, it was a natural next step to present the Global Sports Symposium, the ISS’s first ever international event.
- ACCESS TO TOP EXECUTIVES
- ACCESS TO UP-AND-COMERS
- EXPERT KNOWLEDGE OF THE INDUSTRY
- NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES
- UNPARALLELED INDUSTRY INSIGHTS
“Throughout the planning process the student-run team has received positive feedback from the industry leaders it has reached out to. We believe this is a testament to the US-based Ivy Sports Symposium that has attracted top industry names over the course of its eight-year history. We are expecting similar successes for this first event in the UK and continue to get excited as we move forward with our planning.”
– Harriet Thayer, 2014 Global Sports Symposium Co-Chair
The Ivy Sports Symposium has traditionally welcomed professional delegates from a wide range of companies and student attendees from over 60 colleges and universities. Its intimate setting combined with engaging content and dynamic speakers have made it a “must attend” event every year; they are certain that the same successes will be met during their first global conference.
Past speakers from the event have included:
- Gary Bettman, Commissioner, National Hockey League
- Tom Verducci, Senior Writer, Sports Illustrated
- Arn Tellem, Vice Chairman and President, Team Sports, Wasserman Media Group
- Wyc Grousbeck, Chief Executive Officer, Boston Celtics
- Lisa Baird, CMO, United States Olympic Committee
- Peter Moore, President, EA Sports
- Darryl Seibel, Director of Communications, British Olympic Association
- Begoña Sanz, Deputy Sales & Marketing Managing Director, Real Madrid Club de Fútbol
- Leonardo Gryner, COO, Rio 2016 Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games
- Joel Litvin, President, League Operations, National Basketball Association
- Doug Behar, Senior Vice President, Stadium Operations, New York Yankees
- George Atallah, Assistant Executive Director, External Affairs, NFL Players Association
- John Skinner, Director, Security and Facility Operations, MLB
- Bob Bowman, President & Chief Executive Officer, MLB Advanced Media
- Lacey Goodwin, Director, College Sports and Campus Life, The Coca-Cola Company
- Steve Tseng, Chief Sales Officer, Women’s Tennis Association
- Greg Via, Global Director, Sports Marketing, Proctor & Gamble
- Jennifer Keene, Senior Director, Personality & Property Marketing, Octagon
- Matt Griffin, Vice President, Strategic Marketing & Business Operations, Boston Celtics
- Jimmy Small, Manager, Industry Marketing, NASCAR
- James Dennis, Managing Director, Opta US
- Shellie Pfohl, Executive Director, President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Scott Milleisen, Managing Director and Head of Sports Finance Group, J.P. Morgan Chase
- Gregg Clifton, Partner, Jackson Lewis
- Barry Frank, Executive Vice President, IMG Media, IMG Worldwide
- Bo Moon, Co-Founder & Executive Vice President, Business and Products, Bloomberg Sports
Connect on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Symposium updates. Use the hashtag #GSS2014.
Should have any questions or have interest in group ticketing, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. The registration page can be accessed from their web site: http://www.sportssymposium.org or here.
Sports Techie, This summer a new conference will be the sports tech place to be, the Global Sports Symposium. It is aimed at both seasoned professionals and those who want to enter the business. The first GSS in partnership with Arsenal FC and Emirates Stadium already has commitments from Premier League teams, the NFL and Rugby Football Union, in addition to YouTube. The NBA, MLB and NHL are sure to be represented in 2014 once again as will Fortune 500 companies and executives, plus many more business and experts.
The symposium promises to bring a 360 degree view of the Sports Business world, with talks and panels representing all aspects of the business. Sign up now for the first GSS and take part in the career building experience of the year.
I will see ya when I see ya, THE Sports Techie @THESportsTechie – http://twitter.com/THESportsTechie
Sports Techie Social Media Networks
Sports Techie Skype: sportstechie
Sports Techie Twitter: @SportsTechieNET: http://twitter.com/SportsTechieNET
Sports Techie Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/SportsTechie
Sports Techie YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sportstechie
Sports Techie Google+: http://gplus.to/SportsTechie
Sports Techie Google+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103708211458464405078
Sports Techie (Robert Roble) Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RobertRoble/posts
Sports Techie LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Sports-Techie-2958439
Sports Techie Instagram: http://instagram.com/sportstechie
Sports Techie Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/SportsTechie/
Sports Techie Moby Picture: http://www.mobypicture.com/user/sportstechieNET
Sports Techie Myspace (Bob Roble): http://www.myspace.com/549000677